Vacations are meant to be relaxing, but under planning and overspending can lead to financial stressors. Consider the following tips to reduce travel-related anxiety and help you make the most out of your time away - whether journeying across state lines or overseas.
- Create a travel budget. This will help you make well informed financial decisions while away without compromising your long-term savings goals when you return.
- Think mini getaway. Taking shorter, more frequent trips versus one big faraway bonanza not only requires less planning, and is generally less expensive, but offers more opportunities to unwind year-round.
- Plan in advance. Trip planning can be stressful. Research destinations, make reservations, and prepare itineraries. Create a reasonable timeline and budget, and ensure you have your affairs in order (impending deadlines, medication needs, and babysitting, dog sitting, or house sitting arrangements).
- Control what you can. Unexpected surprises, such as flight delays and lost or stolen items, can quickly sour your vacation mindset. Travel insurance can help you recoup some of your expenses and keep things moving along smoothly.
- Accessing accounts abroad. When traveling outside the United States, make sure to inform your trusted community banker of your plans to avoid an account freeze or declines for "suspicious activity." You can even tag your CorTrust cards for international travel right from the CorTrust Bank mobile app.
As always, remember we're here to help. We hope you take these tips into consideration and enjoy a well-deserved vacation!